From: [email protected] (Martin Ottmann)
Subject: "Ensure that the FSm has believable background" - GO Note from November 4th, 1976
Date: 18 Jan 2003 14:29:51 -0800
Message-ID: <[email protected]>
USGO MSNAIRE <--- COLL OFF FLAG GO
4 November 76
Re: Security Measures Taken w/FSMs
1. Ensure that the FSMs don't have any familial [sic] or other PTS sits on their lines.
2. Ensure that the FSM has believable background and that they know it.
3. Ensure that phone calls are made in code and that if something hot needs to be communicated that a meeting is set up - the meeting set up is also in code.
4. Ensure that any auditing of the FSMs is done at the safe house and not in their homes.
5. Drill them on being alert to tails.
6. Any offensive action that they take is drilled before the action is taken.
7. Ensure that they give a real background on personnel application which doesn't include SCN.
8. Any meetings not in homes are in places where they will not attract undue attention or look like some sort of weird, criminal activity. (ie drug connection, etc.)
9. Where possible, the FSMs do not let people they work with know where they live.
10. They don't give out their phone numbers to others.
11. They naitain [sic] no financial, or other traceable ties to former addresses.
12. If they have some sort of PTS, etc, sit to handle they are not put on any sensitive cycle until that is handled.
13. Auditors and others not in the GO who come in contact with these FSMs don't get any info that they don't need to know about the FSMs, or their jobs.
14. They have no SCN materials in their houses.
15. They have any sensitive material locked up.
16. They xerox things that are needed in the office, instead of taking out a file, prolonging the cycle and endangering the connection to the church.
17. Where attention is drawn to them or a possible connection between them and the C of S an adequate cover is mocked up to divert attention away from their area.
18. Whenever an FSM is directed into an area in which they have to get info which may present a bit of an outpoint, a suitable cover is designed for them to be in an area BEFORE they go there, and also worked out as to what their response would be if they were discovered.
That's about it.